The Complete Guide to Shetland Sheepdogs: Finding, Raising, Training, Feeding, Working, and Loving Your New Sheltie (Paperback)
(This item cannot be returned.)
A revolutionary new look into everything "Sheltie"; a MUST-READ that includes practical tips, tricks, and insights to help a new (or seasoned) Shetland Sheepdog owner.Using interviews with 9 top Shetland Sheepdog breeders, author and experienced Sheltie owner Catrina Mehltretter has created an in-depth look at what it REALLY takes to successfully live with, raise, and train a Shetland Sheepdog. Covering all the Sheltie-specific topics you NEED TO KNOW, such as:
- The unique characteristics and quirks of the Shetland Sheepdog breed
- Early training (including housebreaking) strategies for Shetland Sheepdogs
- Choosing the proper supplies and food for a Sheltie puppy
- Helpful strategies for socializing a Shetland Sheepdog with other dogs
- Health care advice for each stage of your Shetland Sheepdogs life
- Grooming tips that a Sheltie owner needs to know
If you are considering bringing a Shetland Sheepdog into your home (or already have ) then you need to read this book as soon as possible
The Complete Guide to Shetland Sheepdogs is a comprehensive guidebook that shines a light on your Shetland Sheepdog's history, behavior, and health as well as providing practical tips and techniques to help your clever canine reach his full potential. Jam-packed with valuable information covering training tips, health advice, and even behavior modification techniques, this book will quickly become your go-to manual for all things Sheltie.
- The history of the Shetland Sheepdog
- Selecting the right Sheltie for your lifestyle
- Puppy-proofing your home-inside and out
- House-training your Sheltie pup
- The importance of socialization for the Shetland Sheepdog
- Basic and advanced training methods
- How to avoid or extinguish problem behaviors like barking and digging
- Food sensitivities in Shelties
- Proper grooming techniques for your Sheltie's long fur
- Health and wellness guidance specific to the breed
- Traveling with your Shetland Sheepdog
Shetland Sheepdogs, better known as Shelties, are extremely bright and sensitive dogs that are known for their devotion to their families. Shelties were originally developed as herding dogs in the Shetland Islands of Scotland and their herding instincts are often apparent even in a more urban setting. In the absence of livestock, Shetland Sheepdogs will happily herd cats, squirrels, and neighborhood children. These small-statured but sturdy canines are particularly devoted to their families and have developed a reputation as Velcro dogs due to their preference for staying as close to their human companions as possible.
While Shelties make excellent companion animals, they were bred to be very active dogs. They require a great deal of physical and mental exercise throughout their lives in order to remain happy and healthy. Fortunately, they are also extremely intelligent and can excel in many different roles, including those of canine athlete, show dog, animal actor, or therapy/service animal. In these pages, you will find all of the information you need to ensure that your curious and clever pup grows into a confident, content, and well-mannered canine companion.
Choosing a Shetland Sheepdog for your canine companion means you will always have an energetic and loyal cohort to share your adventures with, but if you aren't careful, he may very well outsmart you. This book covers every aspect of owning a Sheltie, from choosing the perfect canine companion for your home to making your precious pooch's senior years shine.